Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Adventures with Vegetables: Week 3

We actually missed Week 2's distribution because we were in Boston, and I forgot to have someone else go pick it up. On to Week 3!

Week 3's Share

In this share we got:
  • 4 kohlrabi

  • 6 turnips

  • 1 bunch green onions

  • 1 bunch Swiss chard

  • 4 heads lettuce

  • 1 bunch cilantro

We were supposed to get broccoli as well, but they ran out before we got there, so we got another bunch of green onions instead. Luis loves green onions.
I was actually familiar with a lot of the stuff in our share this week, minus the kohlrabi. I've never heard of kohlrabi before. I'd not had Swiss chard before, but I knew about it after reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Kohlrabi is related to turnips and have a similar flavor. Some of them are purple and some are white (at least the ones we've gotten). They're quite tasty raw!

Weird purple vegetable, kohlrabi

This week I made Garlic Cheddar chicken with oven fried turnips and kohlrabi, and sauteed Swiss chard with Parmesan cheese. You may be thinking this sounds awfully familiar, but it's not (that's what I thought "hey, I made the same thing as last week, but with chicken instead of fish and Swiss chard instead of braising mix!"). Don't judge.

So tasty!

The garlic cheddar chicken is something I make a lot. It's basically chicken rolled in cheese and bread crumbs and baked. So good and easy! I used the same turnip recipe as the last week, except I used curry powder instead of chili powder. The Swiss chard recipe is here. This meal was delicious and I wish we had gotten more weeks of Swiss chard because it is quite tasty! Luis even liked it, despite it being very green (of course it helps that it was covered in cheese).

Also, as soon as we got the share and I saw cilantro I knew we had to make ceviche!

Just looking at this makes me want more!

I've made ceviche numerous times, although this is the first time I did it without Luis' help. And I thought it was delicious and one of the best I've made! Later, we added lettuce under the ceviche to help catch some of that tasty juice.

Overall, I declare Week 3 to be a success! We ate things I've never had before (kohlrabi and Swiss chard) AND they were both delicious! And we got to eat ceviche.

Up next: Week 4, in which we get lazy.

How giant are these green onions?

No comments:

Post a Comment