Friday, July 22, 2011

Adventures with Vegetables: Week 5

I'm like a month behind on posting this, so it will probably be short in that I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I know I cooked more than the previous week because I felt bad for wasting so many vegetables. I find the hardest part of this experiment is planning recipes based soley on the veggies we get from our CSA. I want to be able to eat broccoli or potatoes without feeling bad. But I feel awful when I buy veggies and there's so many rotting away. Luckily, at this point we are slowly steering away from leafy veggies in to more hardy ones. Since veggies all have their seasons, similar types of veggies are in season at the same time. There's only so many leafy greens I can eat!

In this share we got:
- 6 Kohlrabi
- 1 bunch carrots
- 1 bunch beets
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bunch Red Russian kale
- 2 heads lettuce
- 1 bag basil
- 1 bunch savory
- 1 bunch fennel

I of course, had no idea what to do with the beets. I was excited about the basil and made some delicious pesto with it. I also made lemon chicken with sauteed kale (using the current and previous week's kale) and a marinated beet salad that was included in our newsletter.

I can't really say it was delicious. Later, I took the beets and put them over lettuce and made another salad, which was alright. I hated making that beet salad because I managed to cut myself with the vegetable peeler and the cheese grater during it. I decided I don't like kale (which is bad because we get a lot of it). Luis hates both beets and all leafy greens. I'm pretty sure I used the kohlrabi and the fennel the following week. We never used the savory, we still have a mountain of green onions in our fridge (which we garnish everything with now) and we used the carrots for various stir fries or eating raw. Mostly what we accomplished this week was learning what we didn't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment