Thursday, September 2, 2010

HANSON

When I was 12, a friend of mine let me listen to her Hanson CD, Middle of Nowhere, and I was hooked. I ran out and bought MoN on cassette! considering I didn't have a CD player, and my mom thought I was crazy when I bought their CD once I finally got a CD player (all for that one song). I quickly became obsessed, covering my walls with Hanson posters, taping their interviews from the TV, reading books like Totally Taylor. When I was 13, Hanson was touring and went to Cincinnati, a mere hour and a half from where we live (I don't think Hanson has ever been to Lexington, psh). I remember begging my mom to take me, but she wouldn't. It was too expensive or something. Obviously, I was crushed. Hanson quickly fell of the radar and I figured I'd never see them on tour. I was still in love with them, but didn't think they'd be around when I could finally see them in concert.

And then Boston came. Not only does Hanson still make music and tour, but they came to Boston! And even screened their documentary at Emerson! I finally got to see the obsession of my tween years in concert (a few times, even). And it was everything I had imagined. Sadly, the past few years I haven't been able to make it out to one of their shows, but last week I convinced Luis to come to one with me! And it was amazing all over again.

I've been listening to Hanson's newest album, Shout It Out, pretty much on repeat for a while. It's an awesome CD and I love that most of the music on it makes me want to sing and dance (which of course makes their concerts that much more fun). My absolute favorite song is Give A Little, so good. I love that, 13 years later, they're still making music and they continue to grow as musicians. And they still sell out concerts, not as big of venues as they used to, but their shows are still popular.

The most recent concert we went to was at Moonlite Garden, which was an outdoor venue tucked in a really lame amusement park (4 story fall, really?). I was worried about Luis being frightened of all the crazy girls there (which, by the way, weren't as crazy as the last time I saw Hanson); I warned him several times that it would be crazy and that I couldn't guarantee that I would be "normal" during the event. I can't help it. As soon as Hanson runs on that stage I turn into that 13 year old girl who wanted nothing more than to see them in concert, but never got the chance. It's like a dream come true.

I'm not afraid to say it: I still love Hanson as much as I did when I was 13, and it's awesome!

2 comments:

  1. yessssss. shout it out is such a great, fun, summer-y album, i was definitely impressed with it. when i was in boston early in the spring i showed sam and steve the video for Thinkin' 'Bout Something, and even THEY--sam and steve!!--admitted it was a catchy song and a fun video! kathy loves it too. but yes, give a little is SO good, too. glad luis finally got to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing.

    Also, I forgot to mention; the other night I was driving home and I heard Thinkin' Bout Something on the RADIO! I was so shocked! Granted, it was like 1 am, but still, the RADIO!

    ReplyDelete