Thursday, February 17, 2011

books update

I was really excited to go to the bookstore today. I've been looking forward to it for weeks. For my Children's Literature class I had to read all the Caldecott, Newbery and Printz Award winners (and Honors), as well as the Morris Award winner. I FINALLY finished all of them and now get to read some books I want to read. Somehow I ended up at the store and bought 4 books, and all of them were from the Children's/YA section. *Sigh.* I should get some more adult books. Seriously. It's just Children's/YA books are SO good! Anyway, I came away with:

Syren by Angie Sage. This is the fifth book in the Septimus Heap series. I enjoyed the first four and have them all in paperback, so of course I had to wait until this one came out in paperback to buy it.
Death Cloud by Andrew Lane. This is the first book of a Young Sherlock Holmes series. I'm a fan of Sherlock and his spin-offs (notably Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series), so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper. I actually have to read this for class, but I want to read it anyway. Sharon Draper is coming to the McConnell Conference next week, so I'm reading this one first.
Copper Sun by Sharon Draper. I've read this one and it's amazing. I just want Sharon Draper to sign it next week.

Seriously though, I need some adult books.

2 comments:

  1. Yayy! I'm going to Powell's this weekend to buy the second book in the Amulet (graphic novel) series, and I'm really pumped about it--for myself, and to bring it into my kids next week since I told them about the first book this week and so many kids already love it. So I told them I was going to buy the second one over the weekend, and they were like, "YESSSSSS I CAN'T WAIT!" Which is so awesome to hear--from middle schoolers, no less.

    Anyway! I haven't read any of the Septimus Heap books, OR anything by Sharon Draper. We should encourage each other to read adult books (although it's hard!). I'm going to re-read Great Expectations soon for a book club, but I don't think that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! Jill reading a graphic novel! I just finished Out of My Mind by Draper, and it is amazing! Soon though, I will be reading an adult book, but it is fantasy so it's not exactly literature. But it should be amazing. I can't wait. March 1st.

    ReplyDelete